General Terms and Conditions
New Forest Classic Hire Ltd hereinafter referred to as “We” or “Us”. New Forest Classic Hire Ltd aims to make the hire of our vehicles a perfect experience. To ensure the booking process is as easy as possible in order to protect both parties and to avoid disappointment it is essential that you acquaint yourself with our terms and conditions in order to ensure everything goes smoothly before, during and after your hire. Please be reminded that some of our cars are over 80 years old – please treat them with respect. The mileage limit is a limit and not a target.
New Forest Classic Hire Ltd Self Drive Hire Terms and Conditions
Owner/We/Us: New Forest Classic Hire Ltd.
Customer/Hirer: The person paying for vehicle hire.
Driver/Nominated Driver: The person(s) entitled and insured to drive the vehicle.
We reserve the right to refuse to hire any vehicle at our sole discretion.
Hirer / Driver own vehicle may be left at our premises entirely at your own risk.
This agreement is a contract subject to English Law and to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Nothing in these terms and conditions shall limit or exclude our liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence, for fraud or for any liability that cannot be lawfully excluded.
Subject to the above, our total liability, in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise, howsoever arising, under this contract shall be limited to the total sum payable to us, as set out in the hire contract. We cannot be held liable for any consequential or indirect loss caused by an event making the car unavailable; including but not limited to breakdown; accident, howsoever caused; bad weather making driving unsafe. We recommend that clients take out insurance against the hire being foreshortened or cancelled by such events.
We will not be liable for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations that is caused by an event outside our reasonable control.
1. Driver Requirements
1. Have held a full UK, EU or EEA including Switzerland driving licence for not less than 2 years. Overseas licence holders, resident in the UK, may use their EU / EEA licence provided they have not been resident more than 3 years (if you are resident for longer than 3 years you must apply for a UK licence). Overseas Licence Holders, resident in the UK, from other permitted countries may only drive on that licence for up to 1 year before applying for a UK licence. Drivers from outside permitted countries may still use our vehicles at the discretion of our insurers – please contact us in advance of booking. Non-UK Licence holders are required to pay an additional £250 security deposit above published rates.
2.(a) Have not more than 6 points on their licence (for minor offences, e.g. SP30) committed over the preceeding five years. At our sole discretion, and on application at least 14 days prior to hire, we may refer to our insurer for an extension of cover should this criteria not be met, this may incur additional security deposit.
2.(b) Have not committed any serious offence at any time, including, but not limited to, these listed below:
AC Failing to stop after an accident / Report an accident within 24 hours or other related charge
BA Disqualified Driver
CD Careless Driving
CU80 Breach of requirements as to control of the vehicle, mobile telephone etc.
DD Dangerous Driving
DR Drink/Drug Driving
IN Using an uninsured vehicle
LC Licence offence related to medical conditions
MS Miscellaneous Offences
NE Non endorsable offence for which you can be disqualified
TT Disqualification through totting up points
UT Theft or unauthorised taking of a vehicle
XX Disqualification through totting up points
At our sole discretion and on application at least 14 days prior to hire, we may refer to our insurer for an extension of cover. This may incur additional security deposit.
3. Have not had more than 1 fault claim for accidents or loss during the previous 3 years. At our sole discretion and on application at least 14 days prior to hire, we may refer to our insurer for an extension of cover if the number of claims is exceeded. This may incur additional security deposit.
4. Not be suspended from driving
5. Be in possession of a valid licence which we will require sight of. You are required to provide proof of license validity via the .gov.uk website. We will explain in correspondence what you will need to do.
6. Not have been refused insurance at any time, nor has had their insurance cancelled.
7. Not be subject to any mental or physical defect or infirmity or suffers from fits, or major medical complaint.
8. Be aged between 25 and 75 years inclusive.
9. Be over 5’0″ and under 6’3″ tall and weigh less than 16 stone. Under 5’0″ please call before booking. Not all cars are suitable for taller people, please check before booking.
10. Consent to verification of information provided by to us via DVLA or any other source.
11. Disclose all relevant information on our Insurance Proposal form as failure to do so may render our insurance policy invalid or result in rejection of any claim. If you also fail to adhere to these terms and conditions relating to use of the vehicle we will hold you solely responsible for any losses, including consequential loss and third party claim, damages and legal fees resultant (including any inspection of the car for damage following misuse) for which you agree to indemnify us.
12. Provide a security deposit at the time of hire which must be paid by the lead driver. We reserve the right to increase the security deposit if required by our insurer. This will be in the form of a credit card for which we will obtain a pre-authorised code for the surety amount. This will cover any excess due on the insurance policy should an accident or damage occur or will offset any additional charges due in respect of items not covered by our insurance including; damage to tyres, clutch or wheels. Other additional charges will be incurred if the vehicle is returned with a petrol tank shortfall. If no additional charges are due the security deposit will be returned in full to Customer.
13. Provide two forms of identification, in addition to original driving licence, of which one must be photographic (e.g. passport) and the other must identify the drivers current permanent residence (e.g. utility bill) which must match the address on the driving licence. Originals must be available on the day of the hire. In addition to the driving licence (photo-card or pre 1998 paper copy), for UK licence holders, we also require your driver record downloaded and dated within one week of the hire from the .gov.uk web site DVLA section.
14. Consent to a photograph being taken at the time of hire.
16. Be responsible for any fines, penalties, court costs or other expenses imposed on us arising from the use of the vehicle during the hire period, except insofar that the court action is the fault of New Forest Classic Hire Ltd.
17. Use all security devices fitted to or otherwise made available for the safekeeping of the vehicle.
18. Comply with the Highway Code and all laws pertaining to the Road Traffic Act whilst using the vehicle.
19. Indemnify New Forest Classic Hire Ltd in the event of any parking fines and/or loss of earnings whilst the vehicle in impounded as a result of the fault of the driver.
20. Be fit to drive and not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs whilst using the vehicle. Drugs shall be deemed to include any medication, prescribed or not, which on the written advice of the supplier may cause drowsiness.
21. Report any accident or theft to the police immediately and obtain a crime reference number. Accidents are only reportable where they cause damage to property and/or injury to persons and certain categories of domestic animal or livestock.
22. Advise us immediately on 01794 728029 of the accident or theft and police crime reference number in order that we can expedite the matter with our insurers.
23. Obtain names and addresses of witnesses to any accident involving our vehicle in addition to any third party involved in the accident.
24. Not make any admission of liability in respect to any accident howsoever caused and must render every assistance to us and our insurers with respect to any proceedings that may be taken.
25. Complete the Accident Report form contained in the vehicle and deliver to us within 12 hours of the incident
26. Not leave the scene of the accident unless necessary in order to receive medical treatment until such time as the vehicle is in the safe custody of New Forest Classic Hire Ltd appointed agent for the purpose of repair or recovery.
27. Inform us immediately of any fault or failure of a component part of the vehicle. Driver must remain with the vehicle at the roadside whilst waiting for assistance / recovery.
28. Must advise in advance, as they will need to be referred to our insurer, if the driver is unemployed or involved in the following professions; engaged wholly or partially in professional gambling, professional entertainment or professional sport, door to door sales people (and hawkers), market or street traders, scrap merchants, vehicle dismantlers or breakers, modelling or in the armed forces of a non-UK country.
29. Sign a copy of these terms and conditions.
2. Customer Requirements
1. Provide a 50% deposit at the time of booking to secure the vehicle of choice (100% if the vehicle is booked less than 14 days in advance of the reservation). The balance of hire charge is payable 14 days prior to commencement of the hire period for chauffeured services. Self drive hire balance is payable on the day of the hire.
2. Pay the full amount in respect of a Gift Voucher at the time of purchase.
3. Nominate Driver(s) at least five days prior to the booking. Additional Drivers may be added at an additional charge per person per day provided they meet the criteria described in “1. Driver Requirements”, above, in full.
4. Consent to verification of information provided by you via credit agencies or any other source.
6. Give at least 28 days notice of cancellation for which a full refund will be issued. Notice received less than 28 days from date of hire will incur the full hire charge in accordance with the tariff for that vehicle and no refund shall be due. You and all Drivers are recommended to take out insurance to cover short notice cancellation of less than 28 days notice so that you can recover the charges from your insurance.
7. Use Gift Vouchers within a twelve month + two week period from date of issue. Gift Vouchers are transferable for both Driver (provided criteria of Driver Requirements under 1 is met) and vehicle but no refund shall be due in respect of unused Vouchers.
8. Be responsible for their personal property left on our premises or in our vehicle. We will not be liable for any loss or damage unless it can be shown to be the result of our negligence.
9. A booking (verbal or written) will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
10. All drivers MUST be present at handover of the vehicle unless otherwise agreed by us.
11. Arrive within ±30 minutes of the booking arrival time for a handover. Early or late arrivals cannot always be accomodated and extra charges will apply for late arrivals.
3. Vehicle Restrictions
Vehicle may not be:
1. Driven by anyone other than the Nominated Driver(s).
2. Left unlocked or insecure whilst unattended. All security devices that are provided must have been in use whilst unattended.
3. Driven recklessly in a manner likely to cause personal injury, damage to the vehicle or any third party. Our vehicles are fitted with telemetry and trackers – this will allow us to view real time driver behaviour and if, in our opinion, damage is caused through speeding or harsh acceleration the driver will be held liable for that damage. If the driver is responsible for any damage unrecoverable from our own third party insurers then they will be held liable for full costs.
4. Used for any purpose that is not covered by our Schedule of Insurance a copy of which will be provided to you on request.
5. Used for carrying goods of any description (save for personal luggage), passengers for reward, towing, any motor sport (including but not limited to any on or off road, trial, track, hill climb, or rally without our express and written permission), pets, driving tuition or any illegal purpose. For the avoidance of doubt please ask.
6. Driven in an unroadworthy condition. The vehicle is provided to you in good roadworthy order but if should it become unroadworthy it must not be used on the public highway. You should immediately inform us of the circumstance and we will arrange for rectification of the cause by ourselves or a third party. Compensation in the form of partial refund and or future hire is available in the event of a breakdown not attributable to the hirer.
7.1 Driven within the London orbital motorway (M25), to any port or outside of the mainland Britain.
7.2 Driven more than 50 miles from our base unless agreed prior to booking. Vehicles taken more than 50 miles from our base are not covered for breakdown or recovery and any such costs are the responsibility of the hirer.
8. For the benefit of future hirers, smoked in. All our vehicles including roadsters, are completely non-smoking and additional charges may be applied should smoke damage occur or additional cleaning is required upon the vehicles return.
Vehicle must be:
9. Used solely for social, domestic and pleasure purposes
10. Securely parked, off road, overnight and not left in a public car park
11. Returned to us in an undamaged condition and containing a full tank of petrol of the correct type for that vehicle, together with all equipment provided with the vehicle at the time of hire including keys, security devices, maps, tour routes, tools and toolkit. Failure to do so will incur additional charges as described in 1.11
12. Available for you to collect at your appointment time as detailed in your booking email – failure to arrive on time will result in your hire being foreshortened or may result in cancellation if we are unable to accommodate your late arrival due to our other commitments. It is essential if you are going to arrive late that you provide us with as much notice as possible.
13. Hired for successive periods of 24 hours, unless otherwise agreed with Owners and may be collected from our premises. Hire period will not be extended if Hirer / Driver fails to arrive at agreed collection time. Failure to return on time may result in an additional hire period being charged.
14. Available for a maximum mileage of 100 miles per 24 hour period of hire, thereafter mileage shall be charged – see individual vehicles for extra charges applicable.
15. Subject to availability. In the event of mechanical breakdown or circumstances beyond our control whereby the car of your choice is unavailable we will immediately contact the Hirer and arrange to provide either a substitute vehicle for the original hire period or an alternative date for the chosen vehicle.
16. Available subject to no adverse weather conditions. Should we deem weather conditions to be unsuitable or dangerous you may choose to arrange an alternative date for hire or receive a voucher for future use.
17. Covered by fully comprehensive insurance and includes Breakdown assistance.
18. Provided with a full tank of petrol.
19. Available for hire in periods of 4 hours, unless otherwise agreed, at the tariffs in issue at the time of booking. Hire may be extended subject to availability but cannot be hired for any period in excess of 30 consecutive days.
20. Delivery terms
-20.1 Where a car is to be delivered to you, the hire start time is the time that the vehicle will leave our premises for delivery to you. Example: You book a hire from 11am at a location that is 30 minutes from our premises, your car will be delivered to you at approximately 11:30 (traffic permitting).
-20.2 Where a car is to be collected from you, the collection time will allow for our return journey to our premises. Example: Your hire ends at 16:00 and your location is 30 minutes from our premises, we will collect the car from you at approximately 15:30.
-20.3 Upon delivery, the car will by handed over to you and the deposit taken by card as normal.
-20.4 Should the car not be available for collection at the agreed time, the following extra charges will apply:
i) A waiting time of £25 per 15 minutes for the first 60 minutes and £50 per 15 minutes subsequently to cover the driver and equipment
ii) 50% of the ‘4 hour taster drive’ will be charged per hour (or part thereof) for the rental of the car.
-21.1 Vehicles must be returned promptly at the end of the hire period. Please allow sufficient time for re-fuelling the car on your return journey.
-21.2 Vehicles returned without being fully re-fuelled will be charged at the prevailing rate for fuel plus a £20 surcharge.
-21.3 We close promptly at 18:00. If no contact is made by 18:00 to confirm a late return, the hire period will automatically be extended to the next morning and charged at the prevailing rate. Vehicles cannot be left outside at our premises overnight.
-21.4 Late returns where notified will be charged at:
i) A waiting time of £15 per 15 minutes for the first 60 minutes and £40 per 15 minutes subsequently.
ii) 50% of the ‘4 hour taster drive’ will be charged per hour (or part thereof) for the rental of the car